Ashley Laverty is a theatre maker originally from Massachusetts. Ashley is the founding Artistic Director of Kerfuffle, a theatre company devoted to creating performances with and for 2-5 year olds, and she directed the premiere production, The Caterpillar's Footprint in March 2016. Ashley's plays for young audiences include Nadine's Coloring Book,Where Our Stuff Goes, and Dotty Dot!, written in collaboration with Travis Kendrick, Ryan Cavanaugh and John Wascavage. As an actress, Ashley has performed nationally for young audiences with the National Theatre for Children, VEE Corporation, Roxy Regional Theatre, Vital Theatre Company, and Storyland, a family amusement park. Ashley relocated to Omaha, NE in August 2016 for a full time Teaching Artist position at The Rose Theater where she designs curriculum and facilitates creative drama and musical theatre classes for young people ages 4-15; teaches curricular topics using creative drama tools in Omaha Public Schools; acts in Mainstage TYA productions; and writes and directs Theatre for the Very Young plays, such as Wynken, Blynken and Nod, and The Music Makers. She holds an M.F.A in Theatre for Youth from Arizona State University and a B.A. in Theatre Arts with a concentration in Musical Theatre from Point Park University's Conservatory of Performing Arts.
News and Projects
- Adapting and directing Wynken Blynken and Nod at The Rose Theater in February 2018. The piece will be best enjoyed by children ages 2-5 years old and their families. Read about the 2017-18 season on Broadway World!
- Hosts Wow! That's What I Call Improv Vol. 1 every third Thursday at 9pm at The Backline Theatre.
- Participated as 1 of 25 artists in Omaha Creative Institute's Artist INC Program in Fall 2017.
- Co-produced Mister & MissCast: A Gender Bending Musical Theatre Cabaret on October 20 at The Max in downtown Omaha, Read the Broadway World review!
- Directed an all-female staged reading of 1776 as part of the Omaha Community Playhouse's alternative programming series in July 2017.
- Wrote and directed The Music Makers, currently touring Omaha preschools as a part of the Rose Theater's Preschool Drama Infusion Program.
- Devised and directed Woman: A Meme as a part of Woman in Omaha in partnership with Woven: grounding feminist thoughts and practices in Omaha at Jess Benjamin Studios in October.